Insert text here
Points of Rocks
Located east of Garden City on US 50. Turn south on Raceway Road then east at the dead end on River Road, and go for another 2 miles. Point of Rocks is on the north side of the road and across from the Weldon Outdoor Classroom. It is on private property. Travelers used this elevated outcropping of rocks as a landmark for the Santa Fe Trail.
Two Ghost Towns
Ravanna and Eminence were both thriving towns in the 1880’s. There was fierce rivalry between the two for the permanent location of the Garfield County seat. During the process, the area was surveyed and found to have less that the 432 square miles required for organization. As a result, the area was annexed to Finney County in 1893 and Ravanna and Eminence eventually died out.
Ravanna– Granite marker on K-156. Located 24 miles east of Garden City on K-156, 7 miles north on K-23 and 4 miles east on Lake Road. The ruins on the north side of the road (on private property) are what remain of the schoolhouse.
Eminence– Located east on K-156, turn north at the first turn after mile marker 21, continue 2 miles to a dead end, go east ½ mile, go north 1 mile, then a ¼ mile east to a stone school house. The schoolhouse is now used as a farm shop. It is on private property.
Beersheba, the first Jewish agricultural colony in Kansas, was founded in 1882 in an attempt to help Eastern European Jew establish agricultural careers. It was located on the Pawnee Creek, about 22 miles northeast of Cimarron near present-day Kalvesta. The marker commemorating this usual piece of western Kansas history is located at the junction of Kansas Highway 23 and Kansas Highway 156.
Located 4 miles north of Kansas Avenue on US 83, 4 miles west (SE corner of Chmelka & Lowe Roads). This land was permanently deeded for a cemetery in 1892. There are 4 grave sites visible.
Located south of the “Big Pool”, this marker notes that the Arkansas River was a national boundary line from 1805-1845.
Located west of the Museum, one-room schools like this were typical in early-day Finney County. Open by appointment. Call (620) 272-3664.
William D. Fulton
Located south of the museum, the home was relocated in 2004 from its original location at 404 North 7th. The William D. Fulton family moved into this house from their homestead in September of 1884. William and his brother, James, were the first to file on land in (Sequoyah) Finney County in 1879. Open by appointment through the museum.
Located 6 miles west of Garden City on US 50. Until 1910, this settlement was known as Sherlock, and was the official mail stop for this area until the Fultons persuaded the railroad to stop in Garden City.