Insert text here
501 N 5th – Built in 1909 for the D.R. Menke family, this grand home had modern innovations like central vacuuming, several plush bathrooms and a ballroom on the third floor. Menke and his family came to Garden City in August of 1878 and opened the first general store. At the time of their arrival, there were only two other buildings. Menke was the first postmaster, installed the first telephones and built the town’s first electric light plant.
508 N 6th
Ciddie Fulton Stevens, daughter of William and Luticia Fulton, town founders, made this Colonial Revival style house her home after her husband, John Stevens, passed away. This house is especially noted for its refurbished carved trim of the Ionic colonnades on the wood pedestals, the original front door with oval plate glass, painted wood floors and honey-oak staircases.
902 N 6th
Listed on the National Register of Historic Houses, this home was built in 1907 by J.D. Garloch at an estimated cost of $6,031 Senator William H. Thompson. The house is commonly known as the “Senator Thompson house” and is of Neoclassic style with Queen Anne influences and Greek Revival details. It is the only house representative of this style in Garden City and is one of the few that maintains a high degree of architectural and structural integrity.
508 N 7th
Built in 1902, this was the original home of R.M. Lawrence, who came to Garden City in 1887 to establish a coal business. Lawrence was the first president of the Industrial Club, a forerunner of the Chamber of Commerce. Lawrence played an instrumental part in bringing the sugar beet factory to Garden City.
Named to the Nation Register of Historic Places, this row of homes (901 N 7th, 907 N 7th, 909 N. 7th, & 911 N. 7th) was built by people (ranchers, businessmen, and civic leaders) who were key players in the development of Garden City and Finney County. It is called “Silk Stocking Row” because of the elegant nature of the residences. The houses are significant for their Colonial Revival and Prairie School architectural styles.
Main and Pine – John A. Stevens, Civil War veteran and one of the city founders, gave this land to the county originally to be used for a permanent courthouse. In 1891, the citizens failed to vote bonds for a courthouse and after discussion with Stevens, it was designated as a public park. The park came into its own in 1905, with a donated fund of $250 for improvements. The concrete band shell was added in 1931, replacing the wooden frame one. The Cannon that rests in Stevens Park is the one used on the battleship California during the Civil War.
The building at the corner of Main and Grant (north side), known as “Jones Marble Block”, was built in 1885 by C.J. “Buffalo” Jones. The Buffalo Hotel, located on the second floor, almost immediately outgrew its quarters. In 1886, Jones built the building to the west and moved the hotel operation. Both buildings were constructed of white stone quarried at Kendall, Kansas.
Grant and Lincoln
On 8th street at the end of Grant Avenue. You’ll notice the dates and names atop of each building.
500 block N 8th – The first courthouse in Finney County was built in October 1885, at this location. The county soon outgrew this small building and in 1902, was moved to a larger building at 113 South Main Street until the present courthouse was completed in 1929. The C.J. “Buffalo” Jones Statue in front of the courthouse has highlights of Jones’ life inscribed on the base.
Ninth Street Finnup
Frederick Finnup and family moved to Garden City in 1879. He invested in the town by purchasing deeds to operate a lumber yard and a furniture and clothing store. The family prospered in the land business and were generous to the community with gifts of land and other assets. The homes are located:
401 N 9th Street
Purchased by George Finnup in 1902.
405 N 9th Street
“Finnup House”. This house is available for small group meetings. Call 276-3032.
501 N 9th Street
“Cedar Cliff”. Built for Edward Finnup.
510 N 9th Street
Edward and Marie Finnup’s first home.
515 N 9th Street
Possibly one of Garden City’s oldest homes. Still in its original location, this remodeled home was the homestead residence of C. J. “Buffalo” Jones.
103 N Main
The granite marker at this site identifies the location of the United States Land Office, established in 1883.
1112 Gillespie Place. The only one and one-half story Bungalow style house was built in 1908 by E. F. McCombs, and purchased by Clifford Hope in 1921. Hope is famous for having served in the U.S. House of Representatives longer than any member from Kansas to date. The Hope House, owned by Clifford, Jr. and Dolores Hope, has been home to three generations of the Hope family.
1000 block of North 4th Street. The Bungalow Historic District is associated with the period between 1925 and 1930 as southwest Kansas, particularly Garden City, enjoyed unprecedented prosperity and population growth. This historic district comprises a group of four Craftsman style bungalows.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and located on the corner of 8th and Jones, this building was named for Doctor Andrew Sabine, an early Finney County medical doctor and school board member. Built in 1910, at various times it has served as a junior college, high school, junior high.