Garden City is the epicenter of sports in Southwest Kansas. We have a long history of producing sports champions and we are proud to be the hometown of world champion boxers Victor Ortiz, Brandon Rios, and Herbert Acevedo.
The Rocky Welton Wrestling Invitational is held the last weekend in January. For 56 years, this tournament has been one of the most intense and competitive high school wrestling events in the country.
Garden City boasts two of the best golf courses in the state of Kansas, but don’t take our word for it. The good folks at Golf Digest voted Buffalo Dunes one of the top public golf courses in the country.
We support sporting events. Our community welcomes new events and promoters with open arms. Our city is easy to navigate, has a vast array of team-friendly accommodations, an abundance of restaurants and is served by a major airline with flights to Dallas twice a day.
In Garden City, we pride ourselves on our hospitality, great service, and the special knack for making you feel right at home. Our outstanding sports facilities, coupled with lots of restaurants and lodging facilities from which to choose makes us the perfect place to host your event.
We know successful sports events don’t just happen. They take careful planning, a lot of preparation and plenty of hard work. The staff at the Finney County Convention and Visitors Bureau can help you connect with the right facilities and the right people in the Garden City/Holcomb area to help you succeed. Be a part of our team, and we’ll make sure your event is a winner.
For a list of facilities and amenities, please contact the Finney County CVB at 1-800-879-9803 or email email@example.com
Ball fields? We have them!
- 13 softball fields
- Each field can also be used for youth baseball and we can arrange for additional seating
- Three regulation baseball fields complete with press boxes
- Garden City has hosted events such as:
- The Cal Ripken State Championship (9 year old players)
- Babe Ruth Regional Tournament
- Babe Ruth State Tournament (15 year old players)
- Clint Lightner Softball Tournament
- The Fred Tichenor Memorial Tournament
Garden City is home to two acclaimed regulation golf courses, Buffalo Dunes Municipal Course and The Golf Club at Southwind . Both of these courses have received state and national accolades.
Some of the noted events these courses have hosted are:
- The Southwest Kansas Pro-am
- American Junior Golf Association Kansas Championship
- The Kansas Amateur
- Kansas Golf Association Senior Tour
- Kansas Collegiate Athletic conference Championship
- Garden City Charity Classic – Symetra Tour
This course has a sterling reputation for quality play at reasonable prices. Listed numerous times on Travel and Leisure’s “Best bang for your buck” list, Buffalo Dunes has been voted as Golf Digest’s “Best Public Golf Course in Kansas.”
Nestled among the historic sand hills six miles south of Garden City, the 18-hole course gives players a bit of Scottish flair.
Buffalo Dunes is challenging, enjoyable, and affordable, and first-time players always give us kudos. We’re confident that you will too.
The Golf Course at Southwind
There’s a reason for the name Southwind. The course was built to take advantage of our southerly, almost non-stop Kansas wind.
Southwind has become a favorite among touring golfers. Both tour veterans and newcomers flock to the course each year to participate in the Southwest Kansas Pro-Am.
Today, Southwind remains a favorite destination for golfers of all ages.
Looking for more?
- Nine adult outdoor soccer fields (all fields are turf)
- Three synthetic football fields with press boxes at each location
- 20 regulation tennis courts
- Three first-class track stadiums with access to all implements and events (all-weather surfaces)
- Five competition gymnasiums set up to accommodate basketball, volleyball and wrestling
- High School & College Gyms
Clint Lightner Field
Garcia Soccer Complex