Man’s best friend. Those furry, four-legged animals hold a special place in the hearts of many humans. We get an immense amount of joy and love from our dogs, most of the time! So, after a busy work week we want to be there for them and show them a good time. Not only that, but we want to grow our bond with them and teach them how to be good dogs. Beyond cuddling with them around the house or playing fetch in the yard, what dog-friendly activities are available in Garden City?
Go to the dog park:
If you have a dog-loving dog, then take them to roam the Garden City Dog Park. There is nothing better than your pooch working off that extra energy while you get to stand and watch. The Garden City Dog Park is a half-acre of manicured lawn surrounded by a fence to keep them safe. There is a smaller, separate area for small or less-social dogs. A water bowl and a non-potable water source are provided. You can even bring a snack to eat at the shaded picnic table. This dog park has a five-bone rating on BringFido.com, which means dogs think it is the best of the best. Respect the area and other dog parents by bringing your own poop bags. This park is managed by the Garden City Parks Division and is located at 2080 E Fulton St, Garden City, KS, US, 67846.
Eat at a dog-friendly restaurant:
You may be surprised at how many restaurants welcome pets. They want you to be able to dine with your furry friend by your side. There are plenty of establishments to choose from, but here are a few top suggestions:
- Old Chicago Pizza and Taproom: This industrial-style tavern serves up a delectable pizza. Your pet is protected from the sun by their outdoor patio. Pair your draft beer with a batch of chicken wings, fried pickles, or parmesan cheese fries. The taproom is conveniently located near Petco at 1010 Stone Creek Dr, Garden City, KS 67846.
- Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers: Who can resist a retro diner complete with antique cars and old-fashioned custard shakes? This restaurant prides itself on quick service making it the perfect place to take your pup. There are picnic tables outside that allow you to relish in a juicy steakburger with your dog. Freddy’s is located across from the Walmart shopping center at 3112 E Kansas Ave, Garden City, KS 67846.
- Tequilas Mexican Grill: If you are overcome with a craving for Mexican food while your fur baby is in toe, then head over to the Tequilas Mexican Grill. This is one of the few Mexican restaurants in the area that feature an outdoor patio. They have a plethora of flavorful combinations from lunch fajitas to cheesy pollo fundido. Get your margarita fix at 1715 E Kansas Plaza, Garden City, KS 67846.
Taking your dog to a restaurant can be a fun experience for you both. On hot summer days, don’t forget to bring a water bowl. Collapsible water bowls are great for thirsty dogs on the go. For a seamless dining experience, make sure your dog has been on a nice walk and is ready to settle in under the table.
Take a dog training class:
Dog training is an excellent tool for new dog owners or owners that are ready to deepen their bond with their pet. Buchman Best Behaviors is a wonderful resource for south-west Kansas residents. This company was started by Whitney Buchman who was formerly a zoo coordinator and dog trainer for the Garden City Recreation Commission. He offers group sessions to teach basic obedience training for young pups and owners. For dog-owners that need some extra attention to correct a strong behavior, there are private sessions and online meetings. Training classes are a fun and engaging way to improve the communication and relationship you have with your dog. You can learn more about what he has to offer at https://www.bbbehaviors.com/.
Book a grooming session:
Grooming may not be your favorite activity to do with your pet, so let someone else do it for you! Thankfully, Garden City has multiple groomers in the area with the expertise you need.
- Petco: Go to the reputable super store for all your dog needs. Petco trains their staff on the best ways to care for your pet while giving them the treatment they need. They offer services including nail trimming, teeth brushing, and ear cleaning. Most of their appointments can be completed in as little as five minutes. If you want an in-depth wash, cut, and style, then the time needed can vary depending on dog-size. For more information on their grooming packages and to reserve your spot, click here.
- Curly Cross Pet Services: For a local experience, Curly Cross has a wide range of grooming packages. Your fur baby will be pampered from head to toe. Services include a full wash and teeth brushing. For advanced services, they offer a hair trim for the specific breed. The testimonials prove that no pet owner is less than impressed. They are located north of East Kansas Avenue. Quotes are available.
- Deez Pet Parlour: This small business welcomes all dogs with the slogan “big or small, we take them all.” They have numerous services ranging from a basic bath with regular shampoo to a deshedding combo of shampoo, blow drying and brushing out your pup. They promise to return your furry friend perfumed and with a toy or treat. They base their prices on the animals breed or size. Also, they were awarded a Garden City “Best of the Best” certification in 2018. You can communicate with them via Facebook at Deez Pet Parlour.
A trip to the groomers can be stressful for pets. Start your puppy out at a young age with a pet groomer that you trust. Soon they will be wagging their tail for a doggy day of pampering.
Enter your dog in the dog show:
For pet owners that are ready to take their dog to the next step, sign your fur baby up for the Garden City Kennel Club (GCKC) dog show. This annual dog show is held in none other than Garden City. The American Kennel Club (AKC) sanctioned this dog show to discover the best talent throughout the United States. Pure-breed dogs are judged on agility and obedience. This AKC All-breed dog show is held in March and has been a yearly attraction in Garden City for more than 30 years. To join the GCKC and find out if your dog is eligible for this national competition go to this website.
Foster or Adopt:
If you feel like you are missing out on the dog world, or want to add another puppy to the family, then head to the Finney County Humane Society. This organization was founded in 1997 and is devoted to finding a forever home for all dogs and cats. They have multiple opportunities to get involved and support their cause. You can enroll in their foster home program and give new hope to a kitten or puppy. Sweet, furry faces are listed on their website each day.